Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Leucojum In Situ and Helleborus Orientalis

Middle of March already and what glorious weather we've had here in Suffolk. I thought I'd paint this leucojum in situ as in some respects it's easier than doing a study of the plant. I do love it with the little white flowers shining out like stars on crisp, cold night. I used a bit of masking fluid for the flowers. It comes in handy sometimes for such things that would be very difficult to paint around. In can be a pig to get off and can tear the paper if left on too long. It also leaves a very hard line but I wouldn't be without it for special occasions.

This is a beautiful hellebore that a dear friend gave me as a seedling many years ago it is now blooming wonderfully in the herb garden.

The background I had to paint rather dark so the petals would sing out from it. I also dropped a little sea salt into the damp washes to add some texture and interest.

I'm so happy to tell you that I have, after many longing years, a greenhouse! A beautiful greenhouse that I shall probably be putting into a painting very soon.

Happy Spring, everyone. X

 

1 comment:

  1. I think my leucojum is dead, or at least refusing to flower! I do love a hellebore, such unassuming little things until you get up close, and they cross pollinate and self sow so freely :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping and looking :)