Monday, 28 October 2013

Chinese Lantern, Malva, Hypericum and Swiss Chard

Every season has it's joys and Autumn has it's bright earthy colours, rich grassy smells and sometimes wild weather. This morning we had the gale that was forecast unlike the 1987 one which took everyone by surprise. Hardly any damage here in the garden I'm happy to say. Though I will have to cut down the kerria japonica which is somewhat leaning.

Chinese lantern watercolour
Chinese Lantern

Here are a few plants I've had a go at painting and some were easier than others. The Swiss chard proved rather difficult to capture. Here's a practice sheet I did with a few different ways of working. None of them really worked so I even resorted to masking out the stalk with masking fluid or liquid frisket.

Swiss chard watercolour

(The tissue was for lifting out colour in case you thought I'd been blowing my nose!)

This was ok until I did the stalk and then, no, it still wasn't right so I just painted another one straight. I'm not happy with this one either but never mind.

 

Next was a malva which I had to look up because I couldn't remember what type it was and it's Malva Parkfieden. A very pretty apricot colour and the plant reaches to about 5ft rather like a hollyhock.

Malva watercolour

Hypericum are always pretty with their berries changing from orange red to black.

Hypericum watercolour

I had fun with these and I've discovered rather a nice yellow from Daniel Smith which when dropped into wet colour it disperses it and creates an interesting effect. Nickel Azo Yellow.

Dropped into Winsor green and Burnt sienna.

Dropped into Quinacridone red and permanent magenta.

Until next time, happy painting/creating :)

 

1 comment:

  1. Pretty colours and it's remind me I need to go and check if I have any lanterns on my chinese lantern .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping and looking :)